Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lemont I&M Canal

The Illinois and Michigan Canal goes through downtown Lemont, IL. Below are the views from the Stephen Street bridge over the canal.

Upstream

Downstream
The bridge in the background is part of the bridge that connects Lemont Road with State Street by crossing the Des Plaines River, the Sanitary and Ship Canal, and the I&M Canal.

Update:
MWRD posted
Historical Photo of the Week: The I&M Canal in Lemont on April 16, 1917, viewed looking northeast from a bridge at State Street
Susan Herrs Mitchell Back in the '50's Jeannie Schmidt Bognar & I rode our bikes down Canal Street quite a ways--and got frightened when we came upon a very large mule! This photo brought back that feeling.
[It is nice to see that someone did some restoration work.]
MWRD posted
The I&M Canal in Lemont, Illinois, on April 16, 1917, viewed looking northeast from a bridge at State Street.
MWRD posted

MWRD posted
Historical Photo of the Day: The I&M Canal in Lemont on April 16, 1917, looking east towards a bridge at State St.
Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago Here is a link to more info about this canal https://iandmcanal.org/a-story-with-national-and.../

MWRD posted
The I&M Canal and a bridge at State Street in Lemont, Illinois, on April 16, 1917, looking southwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment