Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I-88 Branch Transmission Line

There are transmission lines that follow I-88 east of I-355. These use the two circuits that leave the north side of the Lisle substation. At the end of that essay, I conclude that they are 138kV. When the towers turn north at Finley, we see the 138kV circuits being carried on the bottom crossbars.

20140531 0048
About two towers north of here, those circuits must be tapped to orginate a transmission line that heads east. The following map is color coded to correlate the map with the following pictures that I took while riding on I-355 for the interstate intersection essay. This segment of the line terminates at the Lombard substation. (Pardon the jerky mouse movement where I "painted" the line around the curve.)

Red: southbound on I-355 as it crosses Finley Road

Yellow: southbound on I-355 while merging from Butterfield Road
Green: northbound on I-355 as it passes over the "westbound I-88 to southbound I-355" ramp. The ramp in the foreground is the "southbound I-355 to westbound I-88" ramp.
The line continues east to an Oakbrook substation. I also record a street view link because the second time I tried a street view, it wasn't as good.


A lot of poles for both of these segments are in parking lots.

The lines continue northeast, but the Lombard and Oakbrook substations are the ones that I'm interested in for now. Actually, I got curious, and I did trace it to the next substation. It goes northeast to I-294 and then north along I-294. I didn't find another substation until Addison or Northlake. I notice that this substation also connects to an east-west transmission line.

No comments:

Post a Comment